|Castello dei Conti Guidi a.k.a. Castello Poppi sits high above|
the Casentino Valley in Tuscany.
|Constructed in the 1100's, the castle was the home of the Guidi family for the next 350 years.|
|The castle had a chapel...|
|...and a jail...|
|....and a knight.|
|After the Guidi family the castle came under the rule of|
Florence and their governors installed their own
coats of arms within the castle.
|Visitors to the castle pass under the Medici Lion -|
another reminder of the power of Florence.
|Today the castle houses a library of 25,000 ancient books including|
800 Medieval manuscripts.
Built in seating in the castle's windows provided natural reading light.
|View from the castle of the village of Poppi and the surrounding Casentino.|