|Ayala Bay is named for Lt. Juan de Ayala of the Royal Spanish Navy. His ship sailed|
into San Francisco Bay in 1775 and is thought to be the first ship to ever sail into the bay.
Ayala anchored at the island and christened it "Isla de los Angeles"
|Facilities used to house immigrants and prisoners of war are open to the public|
and interpretive displays tell poignant tales of their time at Angel Island.
|Poetry written by Chinese detainees and carved into barrack's |
walls provides a glimpse into their experiences at Angel Island.
|Abandoned structures that were once part of Fort McDowell|
can be seen at the island's East and West Garrisons.
|One of the three army hospitals built on the island.|
|A perimeter road encircles the island and provides spectacular views of San Francisco Bay.|
|Boats from San Francisco and from Tiberon in Marin County run daily to Angel Island.|
More information about visiting Angel Island is available from California State Parks.